How It Works
The N. W. Harris Learning Collection at The Field Museum allows you to take real specimens and artifacts into your home or classroom. Using the Learning Collection is simple:
To Sign Up
1. New to the N. W. Harris Learning Collection? Click on the Create an Account tab and fill in the required fields. Then, browse the catalog or purchase a membership package by clicking the Memberships tab. You must purchase a membership package to begin making reservations.
Already have an account? Click the Log In tab to browse the catalog or begin making reservations anytime using our online calender feature.
2. Determine the membership package that best suits your needs. Membership packages are active for 12 months from date of purchase, or until you meet your item limit - whichever comes first. You can choose from the following membership packages:
1 Item Package - $10
5 Item Package - $35
10 Item Package - $50
20 Item Package - $70
40 Item Package - $100
3. Go to the Memberships tab and add your selected membership package to the cart.
4. Confirm your order, and pay online with a credit card or in-person with a check upon first pick-up of items.
5. You are now ready to being reserving items! You may reserve up to four items (any combination of Exhibit Cases and Experience Boxes) for check out at one time. The items can be kept up to four weeks.
6. When your membership package expires or is used up, you can purchase another one at any time by clicking the Memberships tab and adding another package to your cart.
To Reserve Items
1. Once you have created an account, you can reserve items.
2. Use the filter and search bar to narrow down the catalog to the Experience Box or Exhibit Case that best suits your needs.
3. On the item detail page, use the calendar to reserve your items for a seven to 28 day time period.
To Pick Up or Return Items
Pick up or return your items at The Field Museum during the open hours for the N. W. Harris Learning Collection (Tuesdays and Wednesdays 3pm-7pm and Saturdays 9am-5pm).
Free temporary parking is available in the Museum’s West Lot (on McFetridge Drive between The Field Museum and Lake Shore Drive). Let the guard at the station or on the intercom know you are picking up items from the Learning Collection to enter.